Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Gram!

Today is my Grandmothers Birthday. 

This aint your regular Grandma.

This is MY Gram.

And there is NO ONE like my Gram.

Our relationship is unlike any other in my life. 

When I'm sad, she can cheer me up.  When something wonderful happens, I can't wait to call her.  If I need to vent. She will listen.  When I need her, she's there.
No. Matter. What.

Everyone should have a Gram in their life.

She is caring and thoughtful, and fun and crazy and I love her so much.

I have so many fond memories of Gram.

Here are just a few....

When I was 4, Gram would break out all the goodies she had in the pantry and lay out a smorgesboard for us to feast on when Mom had date night.  I could have as much as I wanted.  And I had all her attention, all night.

When I was 8 and moved to LA I got to visit Gram for a whole week.  I would fly by myself, and Gram would pick me up at the airport and we would have a ladies lunch in Jack London Square.

When I was 12 all I wanted was a pair of Guess Jeans.  Being one of four kids, a costly pair of jeans for a pre-pubescent girl was not a high priority.  Gram found some at a second-hand store.  She bought me 3 pairs.  I could have gone without Christmas that year.

When I was 16 she came to Colorado and redecorated my entire room.  She added shelves, and new bedding and transformed it to a "grown up" room.

When I was 20 and announced that I was engaged after 6 weeks of knowing a certain boy, she was the first to jump up off the couch smile, hug me tight and say how happy she was for me.

When I was 24 she had a heart attack.  I thought I was going to lose her. I grabbed her hand as she laid in the hospital bed.  She was unable to speak.  I leaned in close and told her I wasn't done with her yet, and I needed 15 more years.
We're on 9.
I think I may need to re-negotiate.

When I was 28, I watched a tear fall down her cheek when she witnessed the birth of my first child.

When I was 32 I decided there was no one else I could imagine naming my only daughter after.

Gram, my love for you is endless.

You are an amazing Woman, Wife, Mother, Grandmother and Friend.

And we are so lucky to have you.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Gram! Your Gram = my Gram... we love her so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought tears to my eyes. I love how much you love her.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Gram! What a special relationship you have....I have a similar one with my Grammy who just turned 99. I am so thankful for women like your Gram & my Grammy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am crying right now! I LOVE this post! You are tight...every woman should have a Gram.

    ReplyDelete