Search This Blog

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Weekend fun

Oh my goodness what a weekend!

My MIL sent me a message on Thursday asking us to dinner on Saturday.  Clay's second Cousin was in town from Chicago, and Clay's Aunt from San Francisco were coming to dinner.
Of course I offered to bring something!
My MIL accepted my offer and put me in charge of a side dish and dessert.  I immediately started my research

(one of my favorite ways to spend an afternoon-some people read novels....I surround myself with cookbooks)

I was having a hard time deciding what to make.  I wanted something delicious, and of course, something to impress. This was the in-laws after all.

With Jack gone to GiGi's and Madeline in bed.  I had plenty of time to make a few things.

I started with Pumpkin Swirl Bars.


I still had some time, so I made Cheesecake bars. 


I waited until almost midnight for the cheesecake bars to cool and went to bed.

Saturday I had a side dish to make, and wanted to attempt one more dessert.

I decided to make Ina Garten's Apple Crostata 

Zesting the orange for the filling

Rolling the dough

Assembled before baking

While the Crostata was being assembled I made the Tabouleh

(I added feta for a bit more flavor)
Madeline especially loved the feta part of the salad......



The end product.  
I served it with homemade whipped cream.

I was a bit distracted with the kids, and should have removed it just a tad bit sooner.

The Crostata would have been the only dessert I needed, but with the dark brown edges, I felt I needed a back up. 

So I plated the Pumpkin Bars and Cheesecake bars and brought them too.

 Everything was a hit! Even the Crostata! Yay!

You have probably noticed that I did not share the Cheesecake Bar Recipe.....I know....Selfish...There are very few recipes that go in the Heidi Vault.  I have one amazing 3 nut cookie recipe, my peanut butter cookie recipe, and now my the Cheesecake bar recipe, all in the vault.  They are so good, I'm keeping them in the "family secret" vault. 
I know it's terrible, and we teach our kids to share....so instead of sharing the recipe, I deliver. I will make them for you.  Just ask!

:)

While I was Betty Crocker this weekend Jack kept himself busy
He built a fort!
He was very proud.

We even moved it upstairs and let him sleep in it!
Maddie wanted in on the fun too...


Saturday night was so much fun!  My MIL let Maddie play with her fancy bag collection


Jack had fun with his Uncle Justin

They went to bed and were asleep in minutes....

Clay had to work all weekend. So it was just me and the kids.

We hung out in bed for awhile

Then Sunday at Noahs was a must
Asiago bagel, herbed cream cheese, tomatoes, jalapenos and red onion.....
My usual.
Sooooo good. 
Maddie had the pumpkin bagel (I love fall!)
And Jack had his usual, plain bagel, plain cream cheese- (he is just like his father)

Maddie even made a friend!


Jack had fun playing King of the world...



I met up with Clay in the late afternoon and picked up his Anniversary present a little early....

Thank you Craigslist!

I can't believe I found the Manhattan chair I wanted from Pottery barn gently used for a steal!

Everyone wanted a turn in the new chair

(Thanks Aunt Brit for the nice Tatoo on Jack's belly)



I am so so so happy with this chair. I have been eyeing it for years.

I still can't believe we got it for the price we did, in the condition it's in, and the color I wanted!

I LOVE it.
I have a feeling it may start a domino effect of redecorating

Let the fun begin!
  
Such a great weekend! 

6 comments:

  1. I think it's mean and selfish that you won't share a recipe involving cheesecake. Save the secret family recipes for stuff involving cows, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pictures of food. Seriously, I can just skim over the "I added this" and "then I mixed in this". I am drooling. Please make me some food...STAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay....yum. This post is making me hungry. And, I totally get it about the recipes that you keep in the "vault". I have 3 recipes in the Mel vault that I just can't/won't share :)
    SCORE on the chair! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, yeah... I want ALL of those things.

    I wonder if I'll have recipes some day that I'll keep in a "vault"?

    I guess you probably can't have a "secret" fruit salad recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with L. Just MEAN.

    I want that chair, please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that chair! And consider this my request for delivery of any or ALL of that!

    ReplyDelete