Search This Blog

Friday, October 8, 2010

Cooking 101

In October of 2004 I was accepted into the California Culinary Academy in San Francisco.  I remember calling Rose on my way to the interview, nervous and excited.  I couldn't believe I was going to try and do something with my passion.  I went to the interview and was accepted.  I was thrilled.  Then reality hit.  Tuition.  Boo Tuition.  I even was accepted into the scholarship program the Academy offered and would have only had to come up with half.  Half an arm and leg.  But still, only half.  Clay and I talked a long time about me going to cooking school.  He wanted me to follow my passion, but I had no idea what I would do with the degree. So after much turmoil, I declined the offer.

About the same time of my acceptance letter, Gram was remodeling her kitchen.  She was purchasing a 5 burner Viking range, direct from Viking.  When she went to purchase her range, they gave her two vouchers for cooking classes at their Viking cooking school called Home Chef.  There happened to be a school in Walnut Creek.  Gram understanding my disappointment in not going to "real" cooking school, handed me the vouchers to "pretend" cooking school.  Thus started my hobby of cooking classes once a month.

I learned so many things.  How to hold a knife, correct terms for certain processes, why we use salt, what it means to braise, simmer and sweat.

 Each class brought new knowledge and skill that has turned me into the cook that I am today.

At my second class I met Candace.  She is a true kindred spirit.  We clicked immediately.  I have not taken a single cooking class without her since the day we met.  It just would not be the same.  We have so much fun, and usually are scolded for being the two in the back goofing off (I swear I have learned a lot!).

Viking Home Chef has since closed it's doors.  We found private courses from independent instructors, and have had a few courses through Williams Sonoma, but none have really provided us the knowledge or hands on training that Viking did.

We decided to try a new school.

Tonight was my second class at a local cooking school held in the rear of a store called Pans on Fire.

The instructor has a background in food anthropology and is very knowledgeable on the history of food. Which is fun.  Instead of just technical skills, you learn why tools get their name, and why a food is made the way it is.

Normally I go alone, but I thought it would be nice to invite Gram.  So tonight we drove down to Pleasanton for Grams first cooking class with me.

Only took 7 years and this menu to get her to say yes:

Oktoberfest

Biersuppe (Sharp Cheddar and Ale Soup)
Amish Pretzels
Gurkensalat (Cucumber Salad)
Rotkohl (Braised Red Cabbage)
Rouladen(Stuffed Beef rounds)
Spaetzle (Small Dumplings in browned butter)

And for Dessert

Fruit Kuchen ( Plum tart with custard)

Here are some action shots from the night:

Hefeweizen and Sharp Cheddar for the soup

Candace working hard preparing the cheese
Gram browning the croutons for the soup

Rolling our homemade pretzels
Before....

After....

Words cannot describe how delicious this soup was....

Gram especially loved the first course.

prepping the beef rolls
Browning...
braising the cabbage....
Starting the Kuchen
Sliced, ready for the dough and custard

Good to the last

Bite!

Gram said she would pass on dessert...

hmmmm...that's not MY hand...

So much fun! 
(they are going to hate this picture... but it's the only one we took of all three of us.....  Love you both! )

Gram was pooped, But she made it through the whole class! 

Yay Gram!

What a treat to spend the evening with two of my favorite ladies doing what I love most!

Looking forward to next months adventure!

Mmmmmmm Turkey....



3 comments:

  1. So, so fun! I wish I could go to one of those classes with you. I have no idea what it means to braise something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Pans on Fire" is such a clever name! Funny :)

    Did I mention I'm thinking of doing an Oktoberfest theme for our housewarming? Just sayin'... maybe you should share some of that knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really neat post. It makes me want to move to the East Bay!

    ReplyDelete