Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2010

In Control

Have a I ever mentioned that I am a control freak?  I have to have complete control of all that is going on around me.  Even if it's chaos, I like the feeling of knowing, the mess of my life is in my complete and utter control. 

Clay is pretty great with letting me be me.  He has come to accept my faults and I love him for that.  So needless to say he is pretty easy going about our life.  He doesn't care where we eat, where we go, or what we do.  He embraces my spontaneity and usually just goes with the flow.  I love this about him. 

Lately with work, and the kids, and our home, I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed.  So when our Anniversary rolled around, I said....You can plan it.  The whole night is up to you.  

All I have to say is I should put Clay in control more often.

The whole day was so perfect.   This is what I found at my car when I came out in the morning:

My first of THREE anniversary cards.
Such a wonderful way to start my day!


I had no idea what we would be doing, and as much as I like being in control I like to be surprised just as much. 

Clay got off work early to surprise me.  I figured he would not be home until 5:30ish and he rolled through the door at 3.  He coordinated Brit to pick up the kids and watch them for the night.  He told me to wear something nice, but comfortable.  

We left early, and headed toward Highway 4.  I had assumed dinner would be in the City, so I was surprised we were driving in the opposite direction.  We crossed the San Rafael bridge and pulled into the Melting Pot in Larkspur. 

I have only been to the Melting Pot once before.  We had gone with another couple.  We had a good time, but it was hard to have to agree on one pot for each course with 4 people's different taste bud's in mind.  Regardless, I had had a good time, and was very excited when we pulled up.  The Melting Pot in Larkspur is unique because it is in the original Brick Kiln Building.  It's a very old building and creates a very romantic dim lit setting for your dinner.

Clay had made reservations.  The woman greeted us and immediately congratulated us on our 13 year wedding anniversary.  I was so impressed!  I explained to the waitress that we had been here once before and were seated over there- I pointed to the cozy tables just down from her station.  She just looked at me and smiled and then walked in the opposite direction.  My internal monologue went something like this: "The table we had last time was PERFECT, she is going to sit us at some dumb table in the middle of everything, she is going to RUIN my anniversary, I should say something and make her switch it.  I can't believe THIS!"- Then she turned the corner to this dim lit area.  And said...  "You're husband has requested the best table in the house.  We call this Lovers Lane."

I about died.  As she sat us in a very private booth next to old wine barrels, there was this waiting at the table side:

My favorite Champagne on ice.


And this on the Table:
 An Anniversary card from the Restaurant!
So nice!

Clay had pre-ordered dinner- The Lobster and Filet dinner for two.  It was amazing.  
Here is our first course of cheese fondue:
So, So, So Good.

The awesome thing about only going with Clay, is he let me decide on EVERYTHING.  (Remember Clay and his go with the flowness...)  "Whatever you want Babe is fine by me..." (Love him!)

This plate came with our dessert.  
Love the Melting Pot!

So much fun!


My husband can be so romantic, and then turn right back into the tough Marine I married.  Clay and I had about an hour drive each way to and from the restaurant.  On the drive we talked a lot about life, and the kids, and what will happen in the next 13 years.  Then Clay reminded me that I had promised him once we were done with kids, he could get a tattoo with the kids name, to go with the one he had done when we had been married a year with my name on it.  I'm not a huge fan of a lot of tattoos, but Clay puts them in discreet places, and they are all tasteful.  So I agreed.  And on Friday Clay had this done:





I have to admit.  I REALLY love it.  And so does Clay.  And so does Jack for that matter.  When Jack saw Clay's tattoo, he pointed to the top and said "That's my name!"  He then looked at the fake tattoo Aunt Brit helped him put on his tummy earlier in the week and then looked at me and said, "How long until Daddy's washes off?"  I had to explain that Daddy is a grown-up and his tattoo is a different kind and won't ever wash off, and when he's a grown up...if he wants...he can get one that doesn't wash off either....in fact....I'm sure....Daddy will take him...  

Such a great Anniversary week....  I think I may have Clay plan all our events.....   or Some...  :)

3 comments:

  1. THAT TATTOO IS AMAZING!!!! I mean, I was all set to comment on the bread fondue picture, but it hardly compares! Clay, you are so brave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Clay's tattoo! Awesome. Love the difference in the fonts. And, yes, Clay should plan all your events (and while he's at it, could he also plan ours???) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I CANNOT believe this is the first I'm hearing of this. I had to stalk you last week to try to find out about the anniversary. What a fun night and OMG the new ink looks incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete