Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cooking with Heidi....and her BFF Ina Garten...

As I have mentioned, I love to cook.  I love everything about it.  I love how I feel when I'm cooking, I love how creative cooking can be, I love tasting the end product, I love trying new things and most of all I love it when somethings fabulousness is hidden and I find it.

Lately, with the dieting, I have not been cooking the way I like to....you know...deliciously.

Until last night.

I made Ina Garten's mustard-roasted fish.  It was so amazing.

From start to finish last nights dinner took me 20 minutes.  I immediately started thinking of people I could make this for and know they would love it.  Gram and Rose were my top contenders...maybe Kim... ......then I started thinking about my in-laws, and then dinner parties...then my mind started to set the imaginary dinner table...place mats...flowers....okay.  Anyway....

It was good. 

And don't be afraid of the mustard title!  The taste of the mustard is very subtle.  And you would swear when the first bite hits your lips that a pound of butter was used to make this dish.  It's so buttery and creamy.

So here it is. Try it!  You will like it!

4 (8 ounce fish fillets) I used red snapper-it was great!
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces of creme fraiche
3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard I used grey poupon
1 tablespoon of whole grain mustard with seeds I used beaver. That's right. I said it. Beaver.
2 tablespoons of minced shallots I used red onion and it was perfect
2 teaspoons of drained capers

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Use an ovenproof baking dish. Sprinkle the fish generously with salt and pepper.   Combine creme fraiche, two mustards, shallots, capers, 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper in a small bowl. Spoon the mixture over the fish making sure to cover them completely.  Bake for 10-15 minutes. (The fish will flake at the thickest part when it is done). Serve hot or room temperature with sauce from the pan spooned over the top.

I changed the recipe a bit- here's what I did differently:

I added extra capers and onion for more flavor.   I also baked it at 425 for 10 minutes and was not getting the browned effect on the top that I desired, so I turned my broiler on for 7 minutes and it turned brown and bubbly on top just like I wanted.

I served it with Costco's frozen brown rice (god's greatest latest gift) and made some low fat cole slaw (that's right-I getto-fied my fancy fish).  ONLY because it was just Clay and I eating.   IF... I was making this for guests, I would have made rice pilaf, roasted vegetables and a spring mix salad with a bottle of La Crema to wash it all down.  Which I may do for my MIL birthday next weekend.....

Sometimes I forget I'm doing this whole blog thing...and I didn't think about a picture until my plate was half gone....so here is Ina's pic.  I assure you mine looked JUST as fantastic.  ;)



7 comments:

  1. I WANT THAT. I definitely could make that... but, um, what is creme fraiche?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like sour cream without the sour. You find it in the specialty cheese section. Even Safeway carries it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto, Kim. I want that, like now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't WAIT to make that. Thank you for posting it. :) Kim and L. thank you too. :)

    See... told you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if you could substitute greek yogurt? I've been subbing GY for SC in cooking and it's awesome and a lot healthier ...

    Discuss.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, if you're not a Dijon mustard fan, can you use 'cheap yellow mustard'?? Just kidding, I thought it was pretty good myself.

    ReplyDelete