Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Don't mess with my ME time....

I remember when the thought of me alone in an empty house was frightening.  Actually...come to think of it...I used to hate to do anything alone....

I mean..Hey!- I used to bring Gram to my dentist appointments and make her sit in the room, so I wasn't alone with the scary dentist.....

And we're not talking when I was kid...this was within this decade.

However....

This Mother of two needs some "ME" time.

The empty house is no longer a scary place.  I have Trigger. He will protect me.  Bring on the emptiness....

You can imagine my excitement yesterday, when My Brittney told me she would pick up the kids from daycare and take them so I could have an evening all to myself. (I would call her my Brothers Girlfriend, or soon to be Wife, or savior of all saviors...but to make it easy, I call her My Brittany)

I came home early from work with the excitement of some much needed time to myself.  I called Clay to see his estimated time of arrival (not only was it "Me" time, it was much needed Clay AND Me time-which I must say I was looking forward to just as much). 

It was 4. He hadn't left the office yet. That gave me an hour.  ONE HOUR.  For just Me.  I was so excited!

...and then I got caught up in Mom duties..

I should pick this up, this needs cleaning, I should start a load of laundry, I should work on this...I need to open this mail, I should pay this bill.....

I stopped mid envelope.

Nope.  Not today.  Me time begins NOW.

I was in the kitchen, making a snack of pickles and the kids chicken nuggets. (That's right. Me time. You hush. My time. My snack.)

The door opened.

My heart sank.  How could it be? It was only 4:20....

I heard my brothers voice. "Heid?... You home??"

Part of me wanted to hide the nuggets...the other part of me was like...F-it.

"Ya-in the kitchen.."

"Hey! What's up!"  He said with a smile noticing my nuggets.

Let me just say....I love my brothers. All of them. And don't get me wrong...I love to spend time with them...but since Mom moved away, I'm the new Hub.  All day, everyday.  I can't really complain.  The kids get to see their Uncles all the time....and they ADORE their Uncles...but this was MY time.  My teeny, tiny bit of time today that I NEED.

Without missing a beat...I said....

"Remember last night when you were here, and Brit said she would take the kids, and I said Oh Goodie! I get some Me time??"

"Ya..." totally clueless....then you could see the light bulb turn on.... "Oh!...Sorry...Want me to leave?"

Well....then I felt awful.  I didn't want him to leave....but "Me" time was almost gone....and no pickles had been consumed....No Ina had been watched.....

"No....I'm kidding...It's fine..." I said and sat down with my snack.

"I'm just here for a second...I'm going right now...I'll just grab a soda...." And then he sat on the couch.....

And commented on my snack...and Ina.....and everything else in the world today.....

and then "Me" time was officially over......

Oh Well....

On the plus side...it's early still...and Clay is now home which means Clay and Heidi time is about to start! 

And that is much much MUCH better than Pickles and Ina.

For sure.

3 comments: