Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Family Secrets Revealed!

Kind of....

My Aunt Iva is in town for two weeks from Georgia, and we had a feast last night in honor of her arrival. 

I was in charge of making my famous enchiladas and taco salad.

When I was first married, my Aunt Kathy taught me how to make the most killer enchiladas.  It was the first dinner I made for Clay when we were married.  And pretty much the only meal I had truly perfected until the cooking bug bit me a few years ago.  It is the easiest dish to make. It tastes like it's made from scratch, and it's always a hit.  So......I usually don't share my treasured "Secret" family recipes.....but I figured, why not? The only downfall to letting you in on my secret is you will all see how much I really cheat with store bought items in my "home-made" dishes.... Oh well.... Here goes: 

And to make it a bit more fun....I took step by step photos....  :)  Shut up Bo.  You are gonna make this and you KNOW it.
 

The ingredients:


One can of olives. Sliced.  I use Lindsay olives ( for obvious reasons)
Two cans of Las Palmas enchilada sauce.  It's the best.  Mild for my wimpy husband.
One can of Ortega fire roasted chilies.  Mild.
1/2 lb of Sharp Cheddar and 1/2 lb of Monterey Jack shredded
Fresh corn tortillas
One large onion, chopped very fine
Two boneless skinless chicken breasts grilled, diced small



The set up.
Assembly line is very important. 



I use my griddle to warm the tortilla so they roll with ease.
I dip the tortilla into the sauce prior to placing it into the dish to fill.
All fillings are lined up, chopped, shredded and diced-ready to go.
(please note: Country music on IPod and Coke zero- a must for a happy chef....well...at least this Happy Chef)



Fill with chopped grilled chicken, green chilies, onion and cheese.
Roll and repeat.



This step is KEY. 

 Lots and lots of sauce.  The tortilla soaks up the sauce and you will have dry enchiladas if there is not enough sauce.



Sprinkle with remainder cheese and olives.
Bake at 350 degrees, covered with foil for 20 minutes, then uncovered for another 10-20 minutes.

Enjoy!

Here was part of our delicious buffet last night:


Chicken and cheese enchiladas, taco salad topped with avocado, rice, beans, guac, salsa and heartburn.

Weight Watchers...what?? Who??  Oh well...there's always next week....

And for those of you who don't like recipes..and skim over these boring posts....


Here's Madeline in a little "Baby Chanel" Licking her fingers from the enchiladas...

5 comments:

  1. I might make that tonight! Yum. Next up, share that taco salad recipe! Jaime is going to HATE today's posts... I'm posting a recipe, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHY has it never occured to me to dip the tortillas in the sauce? You are brilliant.

    Baby Chanel... oh my goodness...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That looks so good! Such a great idea on dipping the tortillas. I need to make these next week!
    p.s. I found your blog through Tegan's. I think you & I live very close to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making these tonight! Just checked back for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete