Search This Blog

Sunday, August 29, 2010

It Happened one night.....



Thirteen years ago today, these two young faces met for the first time.



I don't know what I love more....That Clay's shirt has a zipper at the collar or the amount of jewelry I'm wearing.  You are correct-that IS a thumb ring. (Oh! and don't let me forget the overalls....How I looooved  me some overalls in the 90's)

In honor of the day Clay and I met- August 29th 1997, I thought you might like to hear how this love story began......

I had a longtime child hood friend. Let's call her Miller Time.  Miller Time was dating a Marine. As in USMC, Devil Dog, UOO RAH Service Man.  He had planned a trip to come visit her for Labor Day. He was house sitting for the weekend in our town and told Miller Time to gather up some girls, because he wasn't coming alone.

Miller Time immediately called me. She knew I would be down to party. As always. 

I in turn called all my lady friends.  Most of whom were already away in college and politely declined. In fact, they tried to detour me from my party with Miller Time, and wanted me to come there for the weekend.  I had already committed. And if you know me....I'm a woman of my word.  :)

So I gathered up as many as I could.  My good friend Maria that I have known since sixth grade, and my cousin who was staying with us for the Summer during her internship in San Francisco.  That was it.

Miller Time had also recruited her fellow work friends from Victoria's Secret to join in the fun.  2 girls from her work showed.

There were 6 boys total there including Miller Time's original Service Man throwing the shin dig.

All the girls arrived together. 

Let's just say the boys had started the "party" without us. And we had some catching up to do.

As soon as my foot hit the carpet of the living room, I saw a tall blond and I was sold.

We went into a guest room to set down our things.  I did my best to stake my claim. I immediately turned to the other 5 girls and said.... "The tall blond is mine."

Like it mattered.  I couldn't hold a candle to the Victoria's Secret crowd, but still....a girl has to try.

The man who would shortly be known as my husband took a liking to another.

I was blue for sure.

Then my luck changed.  The girl he seemed to be warming up to, had a boyfriend, and felt she had to leave the party immediately before "something" happened. 

I quickly assured her that was the right thing to do.  And helped her get her purse.

I know.  I know.  I'm evil. Whatever.  All's fair in love and war.....

I made my move.  The witty, funny, charming girl was going to get her chance.

And boy did I ever.  As soon as I muscled up the courage to talk to him there was an instant connection.  A chemistry unlike anything I had ever experienced before.

I was the smitten kitten.

Needless to say we spent the whole weekend together.  Miller Time, her Service Man, Clay and yours truly.

I have the fondest memories of that weekend.

The above picture of the two of us was actually from THE night we met.  Miller Time always had a camera with her.   I treasure that picture so so much.

Who knew as we sat together that first night where the road would take us.........

6 weeks after that picture was taken we were married.

6 weeks after that Miller Time married Mr. Service Man.

It's funny how people say they don't believe in fate. How could you not?  Clay could have very easily not come with Mr. Service Man that infamous weekend.  And I could have very happily bailed and spent another fun filled evening in the wonderful Sonoma County region.

But we didn't.  For some reason fate dropped us on that door step that warm August night. And then fate one up'd itself and provided a camera.....

5 comments:

  1. Thank GOD you didn't come visit us that weekend. Love this post!!! You guys look like tiny little babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 LOVE <3

    Although perhaps I'll tell the story from my perspective on my blog in a bit ... only slightly different when it's coming from a miles-and-miles away, protective friend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean the tall, blonde, TAN boy! That picture is awesome. :) And I can't believe your hair was ever that dark! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, yes. Special Anniversaries. You two look like babies!

    ReplyDelete