Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Happy Birthday Momare!

Today is My Mothers Birthday.

Momare, Mom, Mama, Mamacita, Ma


Mom had me at a young age.
I was her first and her only for 7 years.

I know those years together are the foundation of the bond that makes us as close as we are today. 

It took me a lot of life experiences to realize how hard my Mom worked to be the best Mom she could be to me and my three Brothers. 

Four Kids.

That's Amazing to me. 

However.....

......back in 1989....

not so amazing...

more like.....Well....that's Mom.

My Dad traveled a lot when I was kid.
  A. Lot. 
and we were always on a budget.

But that never stopped Mom from making me feel like we had everything.

I know I give my Mom a hard time about me growing up as the only girl, and how hard it was to be the ground breaking oldest......

What I fail to mention to her, is all that she did right.

In School when I Aced my report card, She took me to the bookstore and I got a new book for every "A".  And I was THRILLED.

Every week during Summer she would take us to the Library and we would stock up on books to read.  The Library was a HUGE treat.

She installed the love of literature in me.  

(now, I can hear the snickers and comments all the way from Edina and East Sac.....I never said that love stuck...We can all thank Mr. Morrow, East of Eden and Senior English for ripping that love right out from under me.....but I DO read..... So Pipe down)     



She gave me her vintage sewing machine and patiently sat next to me while I completely butchered pot holders meant for Christmas Gifts.
(on a side note my Dad's Mother still has a set of the lovely pot holders I created-I call them my only "Martha" moment)

She taught me how to dance.
(We use to rock out to Borderline in her Plymouth Champ on the way to school)

When I was in Fourth Grade I won an award for my writing.  There was a huge assembly to present the award in front of the entire School.  My Mom had 3 children at home all under the age of 3 in diapers. My Dad was out of town.  When I got up on stage to receive my award, I looked up past the sea of people, and there she was.  She made it.

She let me wear whatever I wanted (to an extent).  When I put combat boots on with an Emerald Green Knit ankle length dress and gold metal Egyptian bangle belt, she would just smile as I left the house.

Mom loves to bake...but hates to cook...
as a young child she let me experiment in the kitchen.
Whatever I wanted to make for dinner she let me ...
Free. Reign.
And I'm still experimenting to this day.
No Matter what I wanted to be for Halloween, she would create it.
Including, a Pink Mouse, Snow White complete with Collar, and most recently St. Pauli Girl.
She is always there for her kids.
Always.
If I call her.  She will come.
She was going to wait until after I gave birth to Maddie to drive the 3 hours to get here.
I called her at Midnight and said.
 I need you here.
She made it in record time.
When I was pregnant with Jack,
I remember the day I told her she was going to be a Grandmother.
She was SO excited.....
I remember immediately going to Barnes and Noble and her buying me every book the pregnancy section had to offer.
The day I told her "It's a Girl!" She cried.
And then immediately went out and bought me something pink.

We are so much alike...and yet could not be more different.

Things I get from My Mother:
(that weren't already mentioned here)

My Charisma
My Smile
My laugh (even without the snort)
My writing style
My worry line
My love of a Ladies Lunch
My constantly cold feet
My love of mail order catalogs
My singing voice ;)
My love of photographing feet and other odd items no one else would imagine photographing


(this was pretty much my Mom's main accessory growing up)

Things I did not get from my Mother:

Her love of everything crafty
Her ability to bake ANYTHING
Her perfect Grammar
Her patience
Her sewing ability
Her need to keep EVERYTHING
(she has sewing patterns from 1972, Hot Pants she wore in High School -that have laces up the sides!- Better Homes and Gardens from 1981, my first pair of shoes, and hundreds and hundreds of other items that would floor you)



My whole childhood I wanted to be just like her.
I wanted to look like her, dress like her, be just like her.

Now....

I appreciate our differences and love our similarities.

(most of the time)
;)


One thing is for sure....


No one ever second guesses that she's my Mom....


Happy Birthday Mom.
You are so important to me and my life.
I'm so thankful for you and all you do.
I wish I could be with you today.
***May the good Lord bless you, and all that you do, May Jesus and Mary shiiiiiiiiine down upooooon you!!***

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Mary!!!

    Heidi, we learn sew much about you in these birthday posts... ;)

    You found some great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!! What a great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, sniff, sniff....YOU were the one who made me a mom. And what a journey we have had! Love you, babycakes.

    And, I thought for sure you'd post about how you were 'forced' to read the Classics - for every 'Babysitters Club' or 'Sweet Valley High' book read a Classic had to be read....remember that?

    Thanks for making my day. I'm so lucky to have you for a daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh...I love that post!
    Happy birthday Momare!

    Heidi...I don't think Stori Telling counts;)

    ReplyDelete