Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....

In addition to all our fun last week, in keeping with tradition, we put up our Christmas tree Thanksgiving weekend.

(Daddy had lots of help)

Six years ago we bought a fake tree.  Sometimes I miss going to Apple Hill and cutting our tree down, or the smell of pine in our living room, but I don't miss the sick cat, or the mess or the tree dying mid month. So, I try and make myself feel better by thinking of the money we are saving...or that it's very "Green" of us to have a fake tree, but the truth is, it's just easier.  So it's fake for us, and we love it.

Clay pulled out all the holiday decorations.

I love going through the ornaments every year.  

Growing up, we were both given ornaments every Christmas.

Both Clay's Mom and my Mom kept all our ornaments for us and gave them to us when we got married.
  
We are still given one every year.

When we first were married, all we had were our childhood ornaments. I noticed immediately that some years we were given the same ornaments.

In 1982 we both received these:


And in 1981 these:
Personally I think it's fate.
  
Like they were forever meant to be together in our Christmas Bin.

I make sure to place them by each other on the tree.

:)

When I was pregnant with Jack, the tradition continued.

Mom bought Baby TBA this:

We kept both our children's name a secret, and announced them when they were born.

Mom didn't like this at all. 

 So when I was newly pregnant Mom began calling my belly "Herbie"
It stuck.
(Through Christmas at least.)
And that is how Jack received Herbie the Love Bug as his first ornament.
(it used to drive me crazy when I was pregnant and she would call him Herbie...but now I laugh when I look back on it, and I have to admit...it's probably my favorite ornament on the tree.)

This is the first year that Jack really understands Christmas.

He was so excited to decorate and put his first ornament on the tree.

Dad helped him reach the high spots


For Madeline's first ornament last Christmas GiGi gave her these:

Little did I know how perfect they were.

She wanted to put them on....
But reluctantly helped hang them on the tree.

I just love our tree!


I also broke out the Holiday bedding
I love my Christmas quilt.....
(All I need is a certain throw pillow to complete my set....I wonder if Santa will leave it under my tree.....)

Jack loves his fuzzy snowman sheets...He says "They're so cozy Mom" (so cute!).

Clay and I love the holidays.  
Especially Christmas.
Here's a little flashback from our first tree- 14 years ago....
I'd say we've come a loooong way......


4 comments:

  1. I'll say you have! Dad and I could not be prouder! Please come help me put up my tree....pretty please.....pretty, pretty please???

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that's missing is the snow...and i know just the place for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want all of those ornaments! Your tree is gorgeous, I love it! And I'm stealing the red bow on top idea... we have had the LAMEST tree toppers the last few years, but that is great. Don't get mad, it's a compliment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you, with your Christmas bedding and new Christmas blog header! :)

    Matt just got our Christmas lights up last night. I'm hoping the tree will magically appear in our living room tomorrow, on his day off... ;)

    LOVE that you included that picture of Clay and your first Christmas tree. So cute!

    ReplyDelete