Search This Blog

Saturday, July 28, 2012

1, 2, 3.. LUNCH!


Mel over at The Larson Lingo is doing a Salad Recipe Swap.



Which got me thinking about my favorite salads...

This is my go-to Summer Salad.
Taco Salad A La Heidi

Salads are so easy. 

Most Salads are Dump, Dump, Serve....and I LOVE that.

Here are the ingredients for My Version...
(this version changes all the time...the basics stay the same, but sometimes it turns into whatever I have in the cupboard.)

1 lb Ground Beef (or chicken, turkey or vegan meat)
1 package of Taco Seasoning
1 can of corn (or two ears of corn de-kerneled and cooked- steamed or grilled)
1 can of black beans (or Kidney Beans)
3 heads of Romaine shredded (or iceberg, or butter/radicchio blend)
1 can of olives (sliced or whole)
1 bunch of green onions (sliced)
2 tomatoes (diced)
1- 2 cups of shredded Mexican Cheese
1 bag of Nacho Doritos
1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (prepared with FULL FAT Mayo and WHOLE milk)
1 jar of Taco Bell Taco Sauce
1 avocado (sliced for garnish)
Sour Cream and Extra cheese for topping


Brown the Meat until fully cooked
add taco seasoning and cook to package directions.

Prepare Ranch Dressing.  Do not skimp on the deliciousness of Whole Milk and Best Foods Mayo.  They are the key ingredients to making this salad perfection.
Take the prepared dressing and remove 1 cup, and add the entire jar of Taco Bell sauce to the ranch until it's mixed. (save the second cup for dipping veggies, or chicken nuggets or pizza)  ;)

it should be a nice rose color and look like this.

Dump all ingredients together, except the chips.
Toss in the dressing.

Just before serving add chips to the bottom of the bowl 
and add the salad to the top. Mix and enjoy.
Top with Guac,  or Sour Cream , or sliced avocado and more cheese! 

Two things make this salad fantastic.  

My super secret dressing and the Doritos. 

Try it tonight!

Happy Eating!

And...

You're Welcome. 

7 comments:

  1. I don't know if I can make a salad with Doritos and Best Foods... but if I did, I think Matt would love me even more. Maybe I'll get the guts to try a version of this next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm telling you: Dump, Dump, Serve needs to be the name of your first cookbook. Instant bestseller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I served this salad for a Mexican themed bridal shower....EVERYONE raved about it! Thank you, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Confession: I have never made homemade ranch, but this recipe makes me want to (even though I have mayo issues) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not good with computer details like copy and paste stuff. Is there a way to make your recipes printer friendly so only the recipes can be printed out?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoe much mayo and whole milk to mix in with the dressing?

    ReplyDelete