Search This Blog

Saturday, March 24, 2012

A Mothers Dilema


It was bound to happen.....

Our first Mother/Daughter fashion disagreement.

Up until now Madeline has had full confidence in my ability to select her wardrobe.

Those days may be over.

It all started in the underwear aisle of Target.

(let's all take a moment and praise the lord we were even IN the underwear aisle of Target.  We are FINALLY peeing in the potty...poop is another story...but were at least headed in the right direction and I'll take what I can get.....)

So.

Mother and Daughter shopping for panties...or as Maddie calls them Chonies.

I immediately see the most adorable panties.  Little pink ones with ballet slippers embroidered on them. Solid pink, purple, tiny flower.  Adorable.

My daughter simultaneously reaches for the cheap, cartoon covered Dora the Explorer Underwear.

I give her the absolutely not look (which she hasn't quite learned yet) and said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!  (on the inside)

On the outside I said....

"Maddie!  Don't you want these pretty pink ones, look how pretty, these are so nice!"

"No Mommy!  I want Dora"

*cringe*

(Somehow I'm being punished for demanding puffed sleeves in the 3rd grade after reading Anne of Green Gables......)

This discussion went on for a good 5 minutes.  When I finally looked up and came out of my underpant blinders, I realized another Mother was smiling to herself as I pleaded for my daughter to please like the adorable floral panties over the horrible cartoon briefs.

Then.
  I realized.
  There was no winning.  My daughter is finally peeing in the potty...who was I to deprive her of the Underoos her heart desired.

So...

We happily agreed on Disney Princess panties and headed to the check out.

Hmmmmm...

A headstrong daughter?

However did this happen??

:)

At least she knows what she wants...

And I'm not sure what it was that made me so adamant against Dora. 
I just couldn't do it...

God help me when she really gets an opinion.

For now, I'm glad she lets me dress her...and only dresses herself at home before dinner.

Tonight I needed to run to the store, I grabbed my purse and yelled to Clay, I'll be right back!

Maddie yelled back "Mom!!  Wait! I want to come!  I have my shoes on!!"

 Yes she did.

Shoes. On.

What more could a Mother ask for?

5 comments:

  1. I have no idea how this could have happened! I mean, you are so breezy and easy-going when it comes to clothes!

    P.S. Puffed sleeves... yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please video her talking about her Dora chonies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm....so many parts of this post to comment on. I lOVE her shoes. And be thankful it's Dora she wanted...Emma Kate and I walked out of the store with Diego chonies 3 days ago! Yes...boys underwear...and she insisted on carrying them in her hands as we walked Connor to his classroom on Friday... Dora is cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have done the exact same thing if Claudia Mia asked for Dora underwear. We want to instill a sense of fashion in our girls... that's all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoes are on! So cute. I love her personality. I can't wait to see her more often when we become neighbors (someday, we need to actually look for houses first).

    ReplyDelete